Wednesday, August 10, 2016

August 9th, 2016 - Sturgis Motorcycle Rally - Harley-Davidson V.I.P. 70-Mile Loop Ride Through Vanocker Canyon & Deadwood!


There were six people, including our ride leader. Our trip took us through some of the most scenic Northern Black Hills countryside.

We departed from Sturgis, taking Vanocker Canyon Road South, through the little town of Nemo, South Dakota.


Nemo is nestled in the prettiest valley I've seen since moving here, and has some campgrounds and a nice restaurant.

Because i tend to be conservative in my motorcycle riding, deferring to posted speed limits, and not prone to unnecessary risk taking, I was a bit behind the main group when I went through Nemo.

I had a bit of chagrin, when I stopped at the little restaurant parking lot, thinking my group had stopped there. Finding them not around, I motored the eight-hundred-pound steed I was riding up the slightly-steep, dirt-driveway, holding off for traffic to pass by.

Trying to get going, and onto the highway, even in little Nemo (SD), proved challenging, with all the motorcycle traffic from the Sturgis Rally.

A little too less throttle, a passing car, and my having to brake quickly, and leaning just a little Too Far Left, ended up with my steed tilting sideways onto its drop bar.

Now, here's what's really great, and why I like the motorcycle-riding community as a whole: No sooner had I laid down the big bike, then within seconds, no fewer than four adjacent fellow bike riders sprang into existence beside me, two of whom had gotten there first, and helped me up within seconds!

It was a most humbling experience, and, although I felt like like a bumbling, weak idiot, better left to riding Schwinns, at that point, instead of Harleys, I was immediately consoled by one of the people helping me, who intoned the Collective Experience of All Hog Riders at One Time or Another: "We've All Been There!"

I immediately felt less stupid than I thought I was, and realized by that statement, that I was Just As Worthy As Any Other Motorcycle Riding Human Being, and that others, too, have had the same feelings of embarrassment and weakness at tilting their own steeds a little too far, and having the elation and pleasant surprise, at having others help them in their time of need.

I still maintain that all people are Inherently Good, the concept of sin is a ruse, and that Joyful Elation in Helping Others Learn and Grow, is the Human Soul's True Nature of Being!

This experience, out-of-the-blue, only strengthens that belief within and upon my psyche.

So I thanked them for their help, refocused my mind upon strengthening my muscle groups, and proceeded evenly, and triumphantly, onto the road, with nary an issue.

I caught up with the ride leader a bit later, who had been waiting for me at a junction. We chatted, he explained he was here for our needs, etc., and that I had nothing to worry about.

So we sped off, me following, both of us ending up at a location I knew well from my trips into Rapid City (SD), traveling down from Lead (SD), to visit my sister: Johnson Siding

Johnson Siding is one of those stop-offs that has everything. It's located on SD-44, about ten miles east of US-385, which terminates in Deadwood-Lead.

It has a general store, restaurant, gas station, a lot of residences, and One Huge Church called Rimrock. It's a beautiful area, with rock faces, tall pines, and the general landscape of the Black Hills that makes it's location all the more appealing.

Two of the faster riders went on ahead, and the ride leader, myself, and one other person, rode together toward Mavericks Steakhouse Deadwood!

All I can say is that the Broccoli Cheese Soup was excellent, the Fettuccine Alfredo, thick and heavenly, and the Strawberry Cheesecake, fantastic!

The traffic in Deadwood, South Dakota during Rally, is Just Plain Intense! Still, everyone manages to not, generally, run into each other. Politeness to other traffic is the key, and I just let others go by me, around me, or ahead of me, then level off to a speed that allows me to be comfortable.

Also, since I knew where we were going, via the map in my head, and as it was only sixteen miles, I had no issues with the last leg of the route.

We motored back to the Harley Davidson area--which was closing up at Five O'Clock (we had gotten back just a little tardy, I suppose)--said our farewells, took our pictures, and that was that.

An end to a very unique experience in my life, the first of many, I hope, to follow!

I hope everyone enjoyed reading! Be Well! Ride Often! And if you don't ride, START!  
You'll Love It!





No comments:

Post a Comment